With the last few weeks of summer coming to a close, we thought we’d give our Nosegay readers a few activities to do in D.C. before the summer is over! You’ll only have a few days to squeeze them in but it’ll be worth it when you do. Here are our 7 tips to make your last days of summer good ones:
- Jazz in the Garden: We can’t believe it but it’s already Jazz in the Garden’s 14th season in D.C. It’s been a great season of free concerts in the National Gallery of Art Sculpture Garden this summer but there are two more great concerts coming up that you don’t want to miss. The concerts are every Friday from 5:00 to 8:30pm.
- Nationals Game: Although the Nationals will be playing through the fall, there’s nothing like a Nationals Game in the summer. Great times at the Bullpen before the game and then heading into the stadium for a fun-filled day or night. Also, check the schedule because there are often free concerts after the game that your ticket will get you into.
- Hillwood Estate and Gardens: Love flowers like we do at Nosegay? Well, head over to Hillwood Estate and Gardens. The cool thing about this estate is you would never know it was there unless you’re looking for it. It’s off Connecticut Avenue near Cleveland Park and was previously owned by Post Cereal heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post. There are many beautiful flowers in full bloom in the summer time at the Hillwood Estate including hygrangeas, the cardinal flower and crapemyrtle. Hydrangeas are some of our favorite flowers to put in a summer bouquet so don’t miss out on them!
- Rooftop Happy Hour: The reason why we aren’t being specific with a bar is because you really can’t go wrong with any of the roofs in D.C. There are so many out there and we love them all! Some of our favorites include Masa 14, the W rooftop, Brixton, Public Bar, and many, many more! Also, don’t forget about our favorite bars like Barcelona, Pearl Dive and Ghibellina if you aren’t in the mood for a roof but want to sit outside.
- Hiking at Great Falls: There is no prettier time in the year to go hiking through the Great Falls than in the summer. There are many different trails you can take and all of them lead to beautiful views of the Great Falls. Whether you’re in D.C., Maryland or Virginia you can find a way to enjoy them.
- Delaware Beaches: Now we know this isn’t technically in D.C., but it’s worth the drive! There is nothing better than relaxing at the beach during the summer and there is no place better to do it then going to the beach.
- Screen on the Green: You only have one Monday left to go but definitely don’t miss out. It takes place on the National Mall every Monday night in July and August and make sure you bring a blanket. It’s a great spot with awesome history in D.C. and you get to see a fun movie at the same time. What could be better?
We’d love to tell you more but there are only a few days left of the summer and we’ve given you plenty to do. Now go enjoy your last few days of summer and have fun! Make some good memories in your last few summer days of 2014.